Deja Vu All Over Again

I have been here before lamenting my giant lapse in being faithful to my promises of some sort of routine writing. I know daily blogging is out of the question for me. So, no promises about frequency.

Many miles have been logged since my last post. Many new places have been visited. Things have changed in my life, and some are interesting or humorous enough to share.

In January of 2015, we took off to a favorite haunt, Paris (France, not Texas).


We had a great time and that was one of my last posts, not counting my rant about phlebotomy.

We had already  planned a trip to Cuba before the Paris adventure. We decided to make the trip to the island 90 miles south of Florida in June of 2014 which was before travel restrictions eased a bit. Our dilemma was whether to travel legally or illegally. We chose to make our first trip through an approved travel company.



We traveled from Cienfuegos to Havana and made stops along the way. I'm very glad we made the trip prior to opening up of travel to cruise ships and airplanes. The infrastructure was straining when we visited,; I suspect it is more stressed, today.

In December 2015 and January 2016, We traveled to Myanmar, formerly Burma. We made  bookend stops in Singapore visiting old friends.



Tea time in Yangon


Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon


Ballooning over Bagan

We were a small group of 14 traveling together for 15 days over Christmas and the New Year. Our trip followed the election into power of Aung San Suu Kyi's party. There was lots of hope for quick change. This type of change is never as quick as anticipated.

Through some very good fortune, we found that our next trip would be to South Africa.


Elephant Sunset


Spotted Hyena

We stayed at two wonderful game reserves adjacent to Kruger National Park. Each was unique and memorable in its own way. After safari, we headed to Cape Town for another fabulous experience.

We did another RAGBRAI. I know that I said I would not do another, but I did. It was my third, and I did live to tell about it. 


Team Uff Da at RAGBRAI

December 2016 ended in Ushuaia, Argentina as we boarded a ship for a journey to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island and on to Antarctica. We spent 21 days cruising with no seasickness. 


Rockhopper penguin


Giant Petrel


Photo Op with a Leopard Seal

The trip was beyond description. I may attempt to prove myself wrong in forthcoming posts. We returned to Ushuaia and then on to Buenos Aires followed by a visit to Iguazu Falls. We stayed a quaint B&B in Puerto Iguazu for 3 nights. We spent one day on the Brazil side of the falls. Both sides are unique in their own way. 

What's next? We are booked to travel to Bhutan and Rajasthan in October and November. Next summer (June/July 2018), we have reservations to travel to the Arctic. We are heading to Spitzbergen and hope to see polar bears and walrus. More adventures may be added, but that is it at this writing.

More to come!





Comments

Popular Posts