Lots of memory cards or a stand alone storage device?

In preparation for a 3 week trip to Iceland and Norway, I’ve been trying to decide how to handle the large number of image files that I plan to capture. I have a number of 1G and 2G compact flash cards for my 5D and a couple of 2G cards for my G9. But I fear this will not be enough. I’m planning on taking some panoramas, and multi exposure shots for HDR conversion. These will likely consume lots of card space. So, the question is more cards, some type of image file storage device or drag along a laptop computer.

The computer seems to be a first consideration. I can check email and download image files and even do some processing in Lightroom. But, do I want to haul a computer with me? No! I can use internet cafes if I need to check email, and I don’t want more stuff to carry. Okay, now the question is more cards or some type of storage device. More cards is a simple solution; how about 4 or 8 additional 8G cards. Scandisk 8G cards are about $95 each and a Gepe 4 card protective case is about $20 (I'm partial to the green one). That’s about $400 for 32G of storage or $800 for 64G of storage. Hmmm. Epson, Jobo, and Digital Foci offer 40G storage units for about $300. Okay, I’m off to do some investigation of storage devices.

As always, input or comments are welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts