Oaxaca: Dining Like the Locals

We left our B&B on the way to catch a bus for Monte Alban, the pre-Columbian ruins outside of Oaxaca. We needed to grab something small to eat. Randeen didn't want to waste any time on dining in a restaurant or outdoor cafe on the Zocalo, the main plaza. We had dined at a food stall in the Benito Juarez market the day before, but I thought it would be closed as it was New Year's Day. We made a spur of the moment decision and stopped at a food stand on the street. The choices were limited to taco. I asked, "que tipo de taco"; she replied "carne." It seemed like the right thing to do. I asked about the price (?Cuanto es?); they were 5 pesos (pesos are about 12 to the dollar at the moment) each. We went for 2 each.

They are the snack size, but that's all we wanted. While we waited to be served, I noticed 2 types of meat in the pan (comal, I think). I inquired. she told me it was cows' stomach; aha, it was tripe. I may have to go back and give it a try.

I ordered a beverage; she took all the decision making away from me. She only had 1 flavor. It was just the drink for the tacos; a fine pairing. Another fine day in Oaxaca.

Comments

Popular Posts