RAGBRAI 2011 (without chafing in sensitive areas)

passing the corn in Iowa

Yes, I did make the trip to Iowa to join the 10,000 official riders participating in  RAGBRAI XXXIX. This was the 39th annual bicycle event started by a couple of reporters for the Des Moines Register. The acronym. RAGBRAI, stands for the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa.


yes, there are hills

RAGBRAI is not a race; it's a ride. This would have been evident if you were following me on this year's jaunt. I often felt like the tortoise in Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare. Since it was not a race, I performed equally to most tortoise expectations.

saddle time

For the XXXVIII RAGBRAI, I was urged to register by my wife. She assured me that I had included it on my "bucket list". I had no such recollection but was unable to produce any documentation to support my stance. She insisted citing the statistics; it was nearly the shortest route in the history of the ride (450 miles), and the least amount of total climb (14,860 feet). She was convinced that I had a moral obligation to register. Under duress, I did, and I blogged about the experience last August 4th.

main street bike parking

 One of the more serious things that I learned was that a person can experience chafing in sensitive areas while participating in a week long, hours in the saddle bike ride. I'm referring to very serious, affecting the way you walk, chafing. My introduction to serious skin erosion began on day 4 or 5 (if you need the actual day, check my blog from August 2010).

been into the corn

 This was the time when I first became acquainted with a group of products commonly referred to as "butt butter". I became an avid proponent of a product called Chamois Butt'r. This is a soothing balm that is applied to problem areas. Those areas which directly affect your gait when attempting to walk. Chamois Butt'r allowed me to complete RAGBRAI XXXVIII. Note: Even though this may contradict the warning label, Chamois Butt'r cannot be applied too liberally.


bands in nearly every town

 This year, I registered for RAGBRAI XXXIX. Don't ask why; it falls into the realm of the "fool me twice" conundrum. Clearly, RAGBRAI was no longer on my "bucket list", but I registered anyway.  It was to be about as long as the 2010 edition (454 miles) but the climb was 50% more (21,206 feet). I still don't know how to explain this lapse of judgement. 


adult beverages, too

 I arrived at RAGBRAI knowing that I would be well supplied with my favorite brand of "butt butter" and that I would be applying it in a preventive mode starting on day one of the ride. On the very first day and every subsequent day, I applied a generous amount of the balm before mounting my bike and at midday. I am very pleased to report that no unusual or protective actions were required during any of my walking experiences during the week long ride.


tractor glamour


Will I go to RAGBRAI again? Well, not next year. Who knows what the future may hold. That's a long way off.


read a menu while you wait


I may even forget about the long ride and the hills to climb. But, I won't forget my "butt butter"!

smiling at the start

All of the images were captured on RAGBRAI XXXIX.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts