Business 101 with Fernando and Tomas

Yesterday, I was down at the edge of Lago Atitlán in Panajachel, Guatamala watching Randeen get in some swimming in preparation for the Texas Senior Games. Even though we are on a short vacation, practice is a must. Mainly I was watching her stuff while she was in the water.


There were a few vendors with the typical offerings, woven table runners, bags, key chains, etc. I was able to rebuff them with some ease.


On the beach, there was a steep bank behind the lifeguard stands. I think the stands were for lifeguards, but I never saw one. Anyway, the bank was steep and made of rocks held in place by a wire mesh.


Every few minutes a somewhat tired, worn, and partially deflated ball would roll down the hill. A couple of young boys were playing a sort of soccer game with the ball. I kicked the ball back up the hill a couple of times, but I fear I was not quick enough for their needs. So, one or the other of the boys would charge down the hill to retrieve the ball. 





When Randeen emerged from the water (she emerged slowly due to the rocky bottom), the boys came down to see what was going on. We exchange pleasantries in Spanish. They wanted me to take their picture. They were insistent. I took a photo of them. I asked their names, Fernando and Tomas.

Fernando (left) and Tomas

After viewing the image on the back of the camera, Fernando said, "Ahora, necesitamos un quetzal cada uno." So, what they really wanted was Q.1 each (a quetzal is worth about 12 cents). I had no coins; my smallest bill was a 20 quetzal note.  I explained that I had no money with me. This was not exactly true, but I had no coins. I did not ask if they could make change. I felt they deserved something; so, I left them with a suggestion for their infant business. I said, "Pida el dinero antes de tomar la foto."

They seemed disappointed, but I hope they got the importance of asking for the money up front. It is a Business 101 concept. If they understand and apply it, they can better capitalize on the scam while they are still young and cute.

Comments

Popular Posts