Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x

I had the opportunity to try out the Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens over the weekend. Many of my colleagues had been frustrated with the lens as they felt it was difficult to use. I can see their point. Even at f16 (the smallest aperture), the lens has an extremely narrow depth of field. It is way to hard to focus using a simple tripod. Without a macro slider, I would have retired the lens in the first 5 minutes of use. I added my Vilbon Macro Slider to the mix. It utilizes precise 4-way camera alignment: forward, back, left and right. Ideal for precise close-up work or macro-photography. This devise provides 2.5" top maximum movement, 1.3" bottom maximum movement, and weighs about 1 lb. The cost is about $100 at B&H, and is worth the investment if you are doing precise macro work. By the way, the subject in the test is a discarded shotgun shell I found in the street on a walk in my neighborhood. Hmmm? As you can clearly see, it is a Winchester 28 guage shell.

Comments

Popular Posts