Which Came First, the Ball or the Log?

As a Saturday party approaches, many would be wrestling with the "what to wear" dilemma. This is not what keeps me up at night. It is not "what to wear" but "what to prepare". Saturday night will be BYOC; Bring Your Own Casserole. It is going to be a retro party of sorts. Kind of a revisiting of what I envision would be on Ozzie & Harriet Nelson's or June & Ward Cleaver's dinner table. We are expecting about 10 casseroles. My wife and I are providing the appetizers, salads, and dessert. Cheese ball or cheese log, hmmm, and what Jell-O salads to prepare, we are facing a number of dilemmas we haven't faced before. I just hope there hasn't been a run on cream of mushroom soup.

At the moment, no one is planning to wear the shoes in the photo. Time will tell.

Comments

  1. Do you know the difference between a hot plate and a casserole?

    Herb Ducks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Herb,

    I suspect you are refering to "hot dish" as compared to "casserole". In most of the USA, they are synonymous. However, in MN, WI, and some surrounding areas, there seems to be some subtle nuances distinguishing one from the other. I could never identify the differences myself.

    Enjoy!

    If you actually did mean "hot plate", it is the device often used to keep either a "hot dish" or "casserole" warm. If warmed for extended periods, crunchies develop on the bottom of the preparation. Many consider it a delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got the notification that there were two responses to my post on this site today --something about being a public service. So that seeems to be working, eh?

    And yes, I meant hot dish.

    And yes, you got it right. The only difference is not what or how its prepared, but from what part of the country the preparer is from -- hot dish being the term from the midwest to upper midwest, as you point out, and casserole being used throughout the South.

    Notice how I capitalize South, but not midwest or upper midwest. That's how much more respect I have for this place.

    Thanks!

    Herb Ducks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts