Phil...Don't look away from the sun...

I took the Pennsylvania legal holiday yesterday, Ground Hog Day. I was born and raised in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and having lived outside the state for most of my adult life, I've been able to convince quite a few folks that it is in fact a locally observed holiday. As far as Phil's predictions, they don't seem to be any more that a reason for Punxsutawney to have a party. If you lived midway between Kittanning and Clearfield in the west central part of the state, you'd be ready for a party come February. If it is sunny on February 2, you can expect 6 more weeks of winter.Think about it, when Punxsutawney Phil comes out of his stump, he will consistently look away from the sun and therefore, see his shadow. Well, I guess I would, too.

I've been thinking of starting a series on basic photographic knowledge. It would cover things like aperture, shutter speed, etc and what they really mean. It will be coming, but for the remainder of this week I am consumed with the preparations for the casserole party on Saturday

Check out the depth of field in the photo above; more later!

Comments

  1. That whole part of Pennsylvania seems so sad in a way. A couple of years ago I was motorcyling up 219 with a friend when we came to a turn-off for Punsxutawney about 20 miles down the road. From my love of Bill Murray, I guess, I lobbied hard for it but gave in to the logic of needing to get to Dubois by dark.

    My recollection of this part of the state which I had never seen -- or noticed from an Interstate -- before, was that everything seemed to turn black and white and gray.
    A lot of grays and that unmistakable message one gets that boy, you should have seen us.....when.

    Herb Ducks (Bert's brother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Herb,

    Many in that area of PA believe that the ground hog may be seeing dark gray earth as opposed to a shadow. In either case, winter is extended.

    Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts