Holiday Art Box Show


Maranda Pleasant Gallery has an art show about this time each year. The idea is that the artist submits their work on a 12 inch square box with sides that are about 2 inches deep (often referred to as the cradle in the art world). If you want to see an example of something similar to the box, check this out.
So, how did I find out about this event? A friend, Carolyn, was at our place for Thanksgiving. She found out about this event while looking through galleries on the east side of Austin. The entry fee is the purchase of a box for $11 ($10 if you buy 5 or more boxes). She presented the box to me with the challenge of not wasting the $11 she had invested. Time goes by, and I give some thought to adorning the box in some manner. Carolyn advised that "anything goes" when it comes to creating the "work of art".
On Tuesday afternoon, I finally go to Maranda Pleasant's web site to check out any rules that might exist. The main thing that I found was that I had until Thursday evening to turn in the master work. I dug through large image prints stacked on a shelf in my office. Time was running out; so, procrastination was not a viable option. I found a 16" x 20" image that I had printed on canvas. It is an image that I call Monet's Garden. I took the picture in Monet's garden in Giverny, France. I wrapped the box with the image, and added a couple of coats of luster coating to give it some depth. It is the image you see at the top of this post.
If you would care to see it in person, come to the show this Saturday evening, December 5th from 6 to 10 PM at the Maranda Pleasant Gallery, 2235 E. 6th St., Austin, Texas. There will be adult refreshments and live music.

Comments

Popular Posts