Yikes, we leave on Monday!


It always seems like a trip that was organized a year in advance will never arrive. The reality is that as the date comes closer time actually accelerates to an unbelievable speed. The same is true for a trip organized six months ago. 

Back in March I began investigating a trip that would allow us to stay in one spot for at least a month. I had full agreement and support from my wife. She even gave me the choice of location. I thought about it a great deal. I felt like it should be a place where Spanish was spoken. Also, I wanted to go to a place we had been to before, but a place that would allow us to absorb more of the culture in a much more relaxed way. Kind of a vacation in a slow cooker rather than a microwave.

I chose Sevilla. We had been there before, two times. I liked the vibe of the city; yet I knew there was more to discover. Our past visits had been for three days each. After much searching, we secured an apartment in Triana, a working class neighborhood across the Guadalquivir river from Sevilla proper. Triana is known as a place that produces bullfighters, flamenco artists and pottery. Our apartment is in a residential building, not many tourists, and it's only a 10 or 15 minute walk to the historic center of Sevilla. 

We will stay a couple of days in Madrid upon our arrival. I want to visit the Prado, again. Of course, Guernica at the Museo Reina Sofia is a must. Perhaps, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, too. There is no way that I can go to Madrid without setting foot in the Plaza Mayor. It is clear to me that visiting a place like Madrid cannot be done in hours; it must be days. Well, we will have lots of days in Sevilla. I hope 30 days is enough.

Time is rushing forward. We have agreed to take only one suitcase each. Packing options are swirling in our heads. What to pack still eludes us. What will we forget? Oh well, we still have a few days to ponder the dilemma. 

Stay tuned for more on our adventure. 

¡No te vayas!

Comments

Popular Posts