Making Panorama Photos

How do I turn these photos...
...into this panorama.

With the right tools and a basic understanding of the technique, it is not that difficult to accomplish. You will need a camera and a software that will allow you to "stitch" the images together - my preference is Photoshop. Since I'm an Adobe certified instructor, Photoshop seems like the only obvious choice, but there are other software choices. I'm going to stick with Photoshop, and I believe CS3 or CS4 will yield great results.

What is a panorama, exactly? There are no real definitions for size; it is often an image with the width being at least 2 or more times the height. Our eyes see at about 160 degrees wide by about 75 degrees high. Perhaps, that will give us a beginning reference point. Don't get bogged down by dimensions, I've taken some panoramas where the width is more than 10 times the height. This does present a framing dilemma.

Over the next few days, I will outline the key elements in creating a panorama.

What lens? Tripod? f-stop? Automatic or manual? Overlap-how much? And all the basics will be discussed this week.

Comments

Popular Posts