Packing the Camera Bag





It is less than a week before I start the journey to Iceland. Okay, Norway, too, but I'm focused on Iceland. We've been trying to create a list of what we cannot forget to pack. I am trying to pack the camera bag with the same kind of attention to detail that will prevent me from saying, "I can't believe that I forgot to bring (insert word or words)." I don't want to be carrying more than I need. I'll be hauling everything myself. I'll have no assistant on this trip; although, I've had volunteers if I were to pay transport, lodging, and meals - not in my lifetime.


As for the bag, I am going with my LowePro CompuRover AW. It is the one that I took on the hike in and out of the Grand Canyon. Although, it holds a laptop computer; I didn't use it on the Grand Canyon trek - no WiFi at the bottom of the canyon. I chose this bag because it has a compartment that functions like a small normal backpack - a place for personal gear: clothes, rain gear, GORP, etc. It has a tripod holder as well. My 5 year old laptop had slowed to a snails pace. I tried lots of fixes, but the one that worked was replacing the hard drive. Now, it runs as fast as when it was new. Here is a list of what I have staged to pack in the bag.

Lowepro CompuRover AW (the only camera bag I'm taking)

Canon G9

Canon 5D

Lenses: EF 16-35mm f2.8L II, EF 24-70mm f2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS (all Canon of course)

Filters: UV (for all), Polarizer, ND 4 & ND2 graduated (not for wide angle)

Canon 580EX II speedlite

Seconic Dualmaster L-558R

Gepe Card Safes with an assortment of 1GB, 2GB and some new 8GB SanDisk cards

Manfroto 718B (small tripod, not great but it's okay for some HDR and long exposures)

Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 (cable release)

Shutter Hat (raincoat for the camera - it rains often in Iceland and Norway)

Battery chargers for the cameras and an extra battery for the 5D w/plug adapter for northern Europe

Recharcable AA batteries and charger w/plug adapter for northern Europe

Dell Latitude computer (Microsoft Office, Lightroom and Lightroom Beta) and power pack w/plug adapter for northern Europe

Universal card reader (advertised to read 11 card types)

LaCie 120GB drive (small and bus powered)

Small 5 in 1 reflector, a 90% white target

Expodisc

I'm not sure I can lift anymore!

Comments

Popular Posts