Which came first Hydrox or Oreo?

The answer to this "which came first" might surprise you. Well, I guess you need to have heard of or have eaten a Hydrox cookie. Anyway, Hydrox came first. If you want to learn more about Hydrox there is an entire web site devoted to the much ignored cookie. The facts as I know them have the Hydrox debut in 1908. Market dominant Nabisco introduced the Oreo in 1912. Oreo had the Nabisco channels of distribution vaulting it into the dominant market share lead. Sunshine, the Hydrox manufacturer, was aquired by Keebler in 1996. Hydrox was reformulated and reintroduced as Droxies. Kellogg aquired Keebler and the cookies vanished from shelves in 2002/2003. On May 28th of this year, the Wall Street Journal rerported that Kellogg would produce a limited 100th aniversary edition of Hydrox cookies. Watch for them on your grocer's shelves in August or September 2008.
I saw this forlorned Hydrox truck in Tacoma, Washington about a month ago.
Canon 5D, EF 24-70mm f2.8L, ISO 200, f8.0 at 1/60 second

Comments

  1. Thanks for this. It solved a discussion on which came first. Also, do you think that they contributed to the cookie's failure by changing the name to "Droxie"? At least Hydrox was a known name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Hydrox so much. Oreo's are a poor substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I preferred Hydrox as well. But I can tolerate Oreos.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up, my mother only bought Hydrox. It seemed like there was always at least one package in the pantry. Being children of the Depression, my parents were very frugal and I assumed Hydrox was the cheaper step-sibling to Oreos. Hence, Oreos were something special once I began buying my own junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang I have work to do but your blog got me hooked. For heavens sake we were just there 6 months ago! We ate hydrox too, too poor for oreos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this Hydrox trailer in Tacoma, Washington while visiting my brother. It reminded me that we didn't buy brands in our family when we were young. We were lucky to get store bought cookies. Although, my mom's home made were the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts