Why Not Chicken?

I mentiond food as one of the topics that would be discussed from time to time. So far, there has not been a food post. That is about to change. Whenever I went to an Italian restaurant, it would be an odds on bet that I would select veal, and more often than not, it would be scallopini of some sort. When cooking at home, I would often shy away from veal scallopini because of the sticker shock I would encounter standing in front of the butcher's meat case. For a while, I was substituting turkey breast that I thinly sliced and pounded even thinner. It works well due to the fact that most scallopini recipes utilize a sauce that yields the majority of the flavor/taste, and the turkey provides the texture. There are lots of recipes available for turkey scallopini. I have now switched out the turkey for chicken breast. Why, you might ask? Simplicity is my one word answer. A whole skinless chicken breast is enough for 2 servings. I don't need to slice it thinly prior to pounding it out. I simply pound it into a thin scallopini between 2 sheets of waxed paper. There are an equally large number of chicken scallopini recipes. In fact, I haven't used any of the web recipes; I use recipes for veal scallopini from any of my Italian cook books simply substituting the chicken breast.
My image of a fowl, maybe chicken - maybe duck - maybe a swan, was taken on a street in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. It was part of an amusement ride mounted on the back of a truck.
Fuji FinePix S2 Pro, Tamron 28-75mm lens , ISO 200, f6.7 at 1/1500 second.

Comments

Popular Posts