Hot dogs and Other Thoughts on Departing iceland

Pylse, hot dogs as we know them in the USA, are the national snack food in Iceland. One can find them in just about any mini market, filling station, kiosks, fast food outlets, and trailers parked around the country. My first dog was at an Esso station in the shadow of mount Hekla. one of the active volcanos. I had the vendor put everything on it. At the time, I didn't know what "everything" was. I had 3 pylse in Iceland. All were satisfying but one was outstanding.


The best dog was purchase from SS (pictured above). It was in Stykkishólmur. The vendor was the daughter of the owner. She indicated that she would have rather been elsewhere, but her task was selling pylse. All Icelanders that we encountered spoke English, most with a broad vocabulary. The vendor at SS had just finished her first year at the university. She told us that Icelanders start English in the 5th year of school and Danish in the 7th year. She was now adding Spanish in her university studies. US schools could learn from this approach.


Okay, the menu was a challenge for Randeen and I even though we had been in Iceland for a few days. I asked for a recommendation. Our vendor recommended the full Danish. This is where I started to figure out what "everything" on a pylse really means.


Let me walk you through the process. The bun is about what we are accustomed to in the US. The pylse is slightly longer and the skin is a bit tougher (not too tough, but with some snap). The pylse is deep fried, not crispy, but warmed through. Before it is put into the bun, chopped onion and crushed Doritos and laid down as a bed for the Pylse. I now have a use for all the crumbled little pieces of crispy in the bottom of those chip bags. Back to the pylse, nest is a mayo type sauce and a sort of catsup (both in narrow stripes). Next comes the pylse followed by a dark sweet mustard. That pretty much covers the "everything". The Danish had cheese applied over the top of everything else. My mouth is watering just looking at the photo above - now that's a real hot dog.


Randeen and I are sorry to be leaving Iceland after only scratching the surface of what it has to offer. I know that we will be back. There is much to explore in the remainder of the country.


We liked the people that we encountered. At times they seem a bit quirky in what they find interesting or funny. That's okay as they were helpful. They were reserved until engaged but always willing to help. And, remember their English is good. I questioned one woman about the reserved nature of the people. She said, "You may be right, but as for me, I'm dancing behind my eyelids." Did I say a little quirky?

I'll remember the abundance of narrow roads and one lane bridges. I'll remember the really good seafood and lamb. And, I'll remember that Icelanders know their history which is reflected in the Icelandic sagas, sagas that are filled with larger that life stories with characters having names like Þórólfur Mostrakegg or his curiously named son, Þorstein Cod-Biter. We have already put Iceland on the list of places to visit, again.

Now, it is off to Norway!

Comments

Popular Posts