Laugarvatn to Snæfellsness - Day 4

Here I am again. I've fallen far behind on posts and hope to rectify that problem over the next day or so.

We stayed at a hostel in Laugarvatn. It was the most expensive hostel to date. Nothing was included. We are traveling with our own sheets (sleeping bag liners) and towels (they are the artificial chamois that you can buy in any discount or auto parts store) to avoid the $15 rental fee (this is an average, but the costs are similar from hostel to hostel). Breakfast was an additional charge. At this hostel it was ISK900 or about $11.25. I am getting a bit tired of processed meat and cheese each morning. Fortunately, yogurt and granola are available. And, I'm consuming more coffee that normal. Internet access was ISK500 (about $4.50). I thought hostels were for cheap travel. Sorry, I mean economical travel.

This is a boat on the shore of Lake Laugarvtn behind the hostel.


We ate at the best restaurant in town, the Linden. It is one of 3 options which include the Esso station that is know for having the best pylsa (hot dog) in town. More on the search for the best pylsa later. We are cheap (economical) on lodging but blow the budget on the evening meal.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO HAS A STRONG FEELING ABOUT PROTECTING WHALES OR WHALING IN GENERAL - DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS POINT!

To my surprise and delight, the Linden had Minke whale on the menu. The Minke is a whale, that is about 7 to 10 meters in length, that is more than 20 to 30 feet in length. It is the only whale that is harvested by Iceland. They issue a limited number permits and the catch is made quickly. Back to the menu; Randeen ordered the trout. Of course, I ordered the Minke. How could I resist the white peppercorn sauce? It was great. It has the taste of beef and a texture somewhere between steak and liver. The chef came out to meet us. He was trained in the US and had worked in restaurants as a sous chef. We had a lively discussion about Iceland, the US, and US politics. I'll save the political comments for one-on-one discussions. That way, I'll be able to please or offend those I choose.

A Minke whale shull behind the Linden.


I think this is where my whale steak was cut.

Comments

Popular Posts