Day #29 Airlie Beach - Whitsunday Coast

Today was to be an easy day, a sail, a short snorkel, a visit to a great beach, and a sail home. We had a courtesy pick-up at 6:55 AM. Unlike Taxi 13, they actually showed up.

our boat for the day
We motored to our snorkel site (about an hour). Hey, I thought this was a sailing trip.

I was advised we would sail back to port at the end of the day. Okay, allow me a moment. As a young man (in my 20s and 30s), I did a fair amount of sailing. I crewed on many a sailboat in club races and had a 19 ft Thistle sailboat. I booked a sailing trip on the Providence V a classic 62ft tallship schooner, and that's what I was hoping for. Our snorkel was slightly better than "it sucked". We had some pretty okay lunch wraps. then on to Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island. That was the high point.

Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach

The sand is 98.9% pure silica. This is unusual and gives the sand a pure white color and softness that I have never felt before. Captivating!

Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach

Sailing home was not what I expected. Yes, there were 3 of the 4 sails raised, but we were still using the motor for most of the propulsion. Most everyone else was pleased. I guess I'm the odd man out.

under sail and motor

rigging

under sail and motor

Anyway, Whitehaven Beach was my high point.

Tomorrow we head to Brisbane in Queensland. Often on lists of most livable cities. We'll check it out.

Comments

Popular Posts